This is your 'How To Build My Company App' if you are a fitness company or organization. We gathered examples of best practices from leading companies in the market to help you identify what can be relevant for your company - check it out!
Fitness companies use Connecteam for:
- Streamlining communication to the team and trainers
- Day-to-Day Digital Reporting and Checklists
- Scheduling trainings and overseeing their execution
- Time tracking for payroll
- Training and on-boarding
- Sharing of resources and protocols
- Human resources needs
- Compliance Purposes
- Surveys and performance reviews
1. Streamlining communication to the team and trainers
Communicating with trainers and coachers is difficult to achieve in a dynamic environment but is very important. Fitness companies like to leverage a variety of communication methods and best practices to keep the team up-to-date and engaged:
- Realtime push notifications and updates: for both formal and informal announcements. From day-to-day trainings and operations and all the way to sharing updates and announcements, and to employee acknowledgment and recognition.
- Chat groups and channels - to streamline day-to-day communication easily and efficiently.
- Employee directory - making it easy to find the contact details of team members, vendors, land lines and other 3rd parties with full permission management.
For more information on communication and engagement best practices see this article.
2. Day-to-day Digital Checklists and Reports
When running fitness locations, there are a lot of day-to-day activities that take place. From filling club opening checklists to reporting a maintenance call or documenting an incident that took place. We noticed that digital forms checklists and reports are commonly used by our fitness customers. Here are some popular examples of how those workflows help automate the information flow and make such processes more structured and organized:
- Club opening / closing checklist
- End of day trainer report
- Workout room cleaning checklist
- Incident report
- Repair order ticket
- Expense reimbursement form
- Service provider service summary form
- Coaching session performance review
- Customer complaint form
All entries submitted by employees are always digitally logged and are automatically forwarded to the relevant stakeholders.
Below is an example for an 'end of day trainer report', where each trainer can summarize their day and any special events / comments. helping management stay on top of day to day activities and events. Once the report is submitted, management is automatically cc'ed:
3. Scheduling trainings and overseeing their execution
One of the features used most by fitness companies, is the schedule. The schedule allows an easy and quick way to plan and distribute the shifts to all trainers and coaches. That way the trainers have all the information they need at all time, and if there are any changes they are automatically notified.
Different companies use it in different ways- some require trainers to acknowledge and accept each shift sent to them, others require trainers to check-in and out of shifts or to complete tasks that are related to shifts and by doing so tracking progress and status of all the different shifts in one place.
Below is an example of such a schedule, note the color coding dots providing clear view of the status of each shift (rejected/ accepted/ started / completed) and the shift templates built on the right, that allow quick drag and drop allocation of shifts to users:
For fitness clubs with multiple locations, each location manages their own separated schedule for their team:
And this is how it all looks for the trainers, all the information they need in one place:
4. Time-tracking for payroll
While some fitness organization have a time-tracking solution in place, we find that often they take advantage of Connecteam's inherited time tracking capacity. The time tracking capability is available both on mobile or from a kiosk station (iPad/tablet). In both cases you can make sure the team is where they say with a geo-fencing limitation that doesn't allow to clock in outside of the designated area.
The time-clock makes it easy to track time, to later understand how resources where allocated and how many hours spent on each activity, and of course to export the hourly data for conducting payroll.
5. Training and on-boarding
In-app training and on-boarding are commonly used to provide employees with a great experience when they need to access training resources or to get acquainted with the organization. Since employee turn-over is high, this is one of the most commonly used practices. While it differs a lot from one organization to the next, common practices include:
- On-boarding experience: introduction to the organization, sometimes a welcome note or a video from a senior person, information about what to expect during training and checklists for completion in the first week/ month
- Getting acquainted with protocols and procedures - the employee handbook, training routines, schedules, benefits and obligations etc.
- Customer service and customer experience - 'cheat sheet', core principles, video examples on how to provide the best service.
- Tailoring plans for trainees - guidelines and things to emphasize, how to document the training plans, what's important to remember and assess etc.
- Equipment usage and maintenance - all the relevant PDFs, resources etc.
6. Sharing of resources and protocols
Resources may defer from one company to the next depending on need, however the ability to have a 'mobile intranet' is something most fitness companies take advantage of. Some common resource usually shared include:
- The employee handbook
- Subscriptions pricing information
- Equipment guides
- Code of ethics
- Important contacts and vendors
- Other policies
7. Human Resource Needs
HR leverage Connecteam for additional capabilities beyond communication and employee engagement, but also for automating of process and for better control over workforce related issues:
- Adding new employees - building upon the invite link to get all the user information directly from the club and updating the employee data base
- Recommendations - making it easy for the workforce to recommend friends for a position which helps increase their recruitment reach.
- Vacation/sick leave request management - users receive an automatic update if requests were denied or approved.
- Updating contact information (Address /name / mobile/ email /bank account change)
- Employee satisfaction surveys or performance reviews.
7. Compliance purposes
Connecteam is used by fitness companies for compliance purposes. 'Read and sign' forms are common, as well as periodical refresher training courses. All documents are logged and automatically sent as a PDF copy to predefined email(s) that can be customized per each form, and users can export a summary report at any time.
Read and sign documents include:
- COVID 19 Daily health declaration checklist
- Employee handbook acknowledgment
- Sexual harassment policy
- Incident findings report
- Other read and sign documents.