Geofence is an advanced capability that allows you to create a geographic "fence" around a site or an address and have it associated with a job. In other words, to clock into that job, users must be within that specific fence or else the job will not appear for them to clock into.
How does it work?
Let's say you have 3 jobs. For two of them you want to make sure that employee's clock in within the geofence (Customer A and B) and for the final job which is driving, you don't mind where they clock in and out from as they might be going to the store to pick up supplies before heading to the client and you want to track those hours separately. To set it up you would add two sites and associate them with customer A and B:
The first site will be associated with Customer A (Job 1)
The second site will be associated with Customer B (Job 2)
In terms of driving (Job 3), it would not have any geofence limitation, meaning that employees can clock in and out to it where ever they want.
What jobs will appear for my users?
In the above example when your employees are within the first site, they will see Customer A and be able to also clock into driving, when they are within the second site, they will see Customer B and driving, and when they are outside of the fenced areas they can only clock into the driving job.
How to set up geofencing?
Setting up a geofence is easy and can be set from the jobs list in your time clock settings menu (if synced with a schedule, then from the jobs list in the schedule as well).
Here's how to set it up step-by-step:
- Access the time clock
- On the top right side of the screen, click on "settings"
- Click on "Geo location" on the left side of the settings menu
- Set "Geo location" to "Required"
- On the same page, under "Sites for Geo-fence", click on the "Add Site" button
- Name the site for your convenience (i.e. customer A, project B, worksite 3, offices, warehouse, etc.)
- Type an address or a location name (integrated with Google Maps) and make sure to select from suggested results
- Set the fence size for that site
- Select what jobs will be available to clock in from within that site (jobs that are not listed under any of your sites, will be available to use from anywhere according to users qualification)
- That's it! You're good to go!
How can users know they are within the worksite location?
Our time clock app displays a huge map which makes it easy for the user to see that they are within the geofenced area.
My employee is within a site. Why can't he clock into the job that is associated with it?
The first thing you want to make sure is that the user is qualified for the job. If he is, this might be a case of the employee not having great service. As shown in the image above, the map displays the user's live location when trying to clock in and out. While the dot might be slightly within the area, the user's GPS accuracy is not always perfectly accurate and may differ due to connectivity, location, device, etc.
In order to ensure location within the fenced area, the user should simply move further into the fenced area so the entire blue circle is in the fenced area. Then, the user will be able to clock in or out.
What happens when the user tries to clock-out outside of the fenced area?
When outside the fenced area, if a user is trying to clock-out, the user will receive a message with two options:
- Move to the fenced area and try again
- Clock-out outside the fenced area - in that case, an admin will receive a request (same as absence request or a shift edit request) that must be approved from their dashboard or app. The request will state that the user clocked-out outside the work zone. Once approved, the shift will automatically be added to the employee's timesheets