Connecteam was built and designed to bring a real all-in-one solution to your business. Therefore, we allow you to modify your system admins' permissions to access users, features and content in their dashboards, according to their role in the company.
This is an advanced system capability, so we've divided it to 3 main parts for your convenience: Ground rules, how to do it and options.
PART 1 - Ground rules
There are 2 options for managers permissions:
- Owner - The highest level of permission - Can see all features and users, can access and control all the dashboard's capabilities. The account creator's default permission is Owner.
- Admin - May be assigned to specific features, asset and/or users. Additional managers' default permission is Admin.
QUICK TIP: If you want all your admins to have access to everything that's in your dashboard, you can stop reading the article and just make sure that all managers have an owner permission. If that's not the case - please continue reading :)
Admins' assignment options are:
- Assign admins to side-bar categories
- Assign admins to assets
- Assign admins to users
Let's go over each option in part 2.
PART 2 - How to do it
Assign admins to side-bar categories:
By assigning an admin to a category, we can allow them to create assets under this category. For example, if I have on my sidebar as an owner, a category called Workflows, I can decide which admins will have access to this category so they can create new workflows or edit existing workflows that they're assigned to.
Assigning admins to a category can be done by clicking on that category and then click on Category admins + button.
Assign admins to assets:
Under each category, there may be multiple assets. As in our previous example, under the Workflows category, we may have multiple workflows. By assigning each workflow to specific admins, we can decide to which workflows those admins will have access to.
In the example below, you can see how many admins are assigned to each workflow. It means that those admins will see ONLY the workflows they administrate and not the others.
By clicking on each workflow, you'll be able to add or remove admins as shown in the image below:
Please notice that if an admin is assigned to AT LEAST one asset under a category, they will be assigned to the category automatically so they can add more assets under their permissions. Still, they will only be able to see content assigned to them.
Assign admins to users:
Owners can see all users, while admins may see specific users.
Assigning admins to users can be done from the Smart Groups' page. By assigning admins to groups, we can decide which users the admin will have access to.
If I own a retail chain-stores and I want my regional manager of Manhattan to have access ONLY to employees that work in Manhattan, I should create a smart group that's based on the rule "Location_is_Manhattan". This smart group will contain only the 200 employees that work in Manhattan, so on the regional manager's dashboard, they will see only 200 employees and not the other 500 employees that work in the company.
You may drill-down even dipper and create smart-groups based on the location and branches in order to allow each branch manager to manage only their employees, for example: A smart group titled 5th Ave, would be based on the rules: "Location_is_Manhattan_AND_Branch_is_5th Ave." This group will contain only 20 employees, so branch manager will have access only to 20 out of all the users that's in the Owners' dashboard.
Smart Groups list:
The smart group assigned admins:
The smart group's users:
Important: If you don't want to allow admins to access to all users, you first want to make sure they're not assigned to all-users group (a default system group).
PART 3 - System options:
There are options for each assignment of admins and there are general default options for your convenience.
Access your dashboard's settings menu and click on the "Admin Permissions" tab to select your default options. By default, all boxes will be checked.
- Admins can add and remove other admins - When checked, this option allow admins to add and remove other admins from the dashboard.
- Admins can create smart groups - when checked, admins can create their own smart groups. Note that when checked, this option may allow admins to gain access to all users, regarding their first users access. If you wish to modify users details and activity to specific managers, please leave this option un-checked.
Default categories and asset permissions:
- Add all admins to this category: By default, all admins will be added to the category. A category can be Workflows, Surveys, Library, etc.
- Admins can add other admins to this category: By default, all admins can add other admins to the category.
- Add all admins to this asset: By default, all admins will be automatically assigned to new content inside a category. Asset can be one Workflow inside the Workflows category.
- Admins can add other admins to this asset: By default, all admins can add other admins to new assets.
Default smart groups permissions:
- Add all admins to this group: By default, all admins will be automatically assigned to the new smart group.
- Admins can add other admins to this group: By default, admins will be able to add other admins to the smart group.
Options for each assignment:
It doesn't matter if it's a category, an asset or a smart group, wherever you see the assigned managers + button, you may click on it and change its specific options as shown in the image below.
Smart Group (users) options: